Sunday, July 21, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie Soup


   Chicken Pot Pie Soup, very creamy, and full on flavor! I call it chicken pot pie soup because it tastes like the filling in homemade pot pies just in a soup form. This recipe is something that I just made up today as I went along. I usually just wing it in the kitchen and interestingly enough that always somehow works out better than when I follow recipes exact. This soup was definitely very easy to do, especially for anyone who cooks regularly. It was delicious, and creamy, full of flavor and my favorite chicken soup recipe to date. I like it just the way it is with chicken, veggies, broth and some yeast rolls on the side. However, it'd be very easy to modify with some rice, egg noodles, or even homemade dumplings. The thing that makes this soup so easy, is that I used a rotisserie chicken that I got at my local Kroger grocery store on sale for only $3.99.

The ingredients you will need :

~ a fully cooked rotisserie chicken from your local grocer (a small one)
~ a 32 ounce container of chicken broth
~ about 4 large fresh carrots
~ 3 large celery stalks
~ 1/2 of a white onion
~ about 4 tablespoons of flour
~ about 4 tablespoons of butter
~ a clove of garlic
~ 1 cup of milk, or heavy whipping cream
~ seasonings, garlic salt, celery salt, parsley (fresh chopped from the produce department is best, but dried is ok too), and salt and pepper.
~ (Also in hindsight I am thinking that green peas would have been perfect in this as well, your choice.)

Start by de-boning your chicken, pulling off all the meat that you want to use into chunks. (Some people like only white meat, some people like the white and dark together). I did this part just all by hand, it's messy but easier. Set chicken chunks aside. 

Chop your onion, celery, and carrots and toss them into the pot with butter, pressed garlic clove, and seasonings. Saute' them on medium to slightly high heat for a few minutes until they are about half way tender. 

Make sure there is still enough butter floating around in your pan, if not add a little more. Stir in your flour one tablespoon at a time, until it is all absorbed in the butter and continue stirring it steadily. You are making a light roux with your flour and butter and sauteing the veggies at the same time. (The flour will be a little chunky, DO NOT let it burn, turn the heat down a little if you need to.) Do this for 3-5 minutes. 

Slowly stir in your chicken broth until it is all mixed in and the flour is absorbed / dissolved into the broth. This was my favorite part, as you got to see just how creamy the resulting soup is going to be as you stir in your chicken broth. I also added about a cup of milk to aid in the creaminess.

Add all your chicken chunks and reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir it all up and at this point taste test your broth. I love a hearty flavor so I added a little more of each seasoning at this point. However, remember that you must season only a little at a time and stir and taste as you go. It is easy to add more seasoning, but not so easy to fix the dish once you've added too much. 

Put the lid on it and simmer it on low, stirring occasionally as there is flour in this recipe, it can easily stick to the bottom and burn. I simmered mine for about an hour, occasionally taking out a carrot slice and checking for tenderness as I went, as I hate mushy veggies. Simmering on a very low heat like this for a while lets all the flavors come out of the chicken and veggies and mingle together. 

I absolutely loved eating mine with freshly baked yeast rolls. If you don't know how, or don't have the time to make the rolls homemade, the frozen Sister Schubert's brand of rolls in the silver baking tray are the best compared to homemade ones. Feel free to modify this recipe to your own family's taste. I believe that is what makes a good cook, is to make everything your own. If you want it with rice or noodles, go for it! Have a favorite veggie you wanna throw in? Why not? Have fun with it and I hope you love it as much as I did on this rainy day. The leftovers are great too!




No comments:

Post a Comment